8. Did anything of LLMPS remain as part of UMMPS?

posted Nov 7, 2010, 8:45 AM by Jeff Ogden   [ updated Oct 20, 2014, 11:41 AM ]
In June 2010 I (Jeff Ogden) asked Mike Alexander, "Did  anything of LLMPS remain as part of UMMPS other than LLMPSEQU?"

Mike replied: "Maybe a few lines of code, but not much.  Even LLMPSEQU was gone (or at least renamed).  It was a gradual process over a long period of time, not an effort to rewrite it and eliminate LLMPS code."

On Sep 6, 2014, at 11:29 AM, Jeff Ogden wrote:

It turns out that Lincoln Manual 78 is available on the web (once I knew what to look for). If you are looking for something to read, you might try:



On Sep 6, 2014, at 12:02 PM, Mike Alexander wrote:

Now that takes me back.  It’s been a long time since I’ve seen that document.

There must have been an earlier version of it since we got LLMPS at least a year earlier than January 67.  By then MTS was well underway.  January 67 was a milestone month for MTS since that’s when the first version of the DSR interface was implemented.  We had LLMPS doing spooling for the 7090 by the spring of 1966.  I think it was sometime in the summer of 1965 that I went to Lincoln Labs to take a look at it.  I remember I got a lift in a private plane from someone visiting UM from Boston and I think he was here for the Engineering Summer Conferences that year.  I’m pretty sure there was a version of this document available then, perhaps it was a draft that hadn’t been published yet.


See also: